1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 US ($2 AUD) a day. Now it's our turn.
http://www.livebelowtheline.com/
In August 2010 join us in living on $2 a day, and commit to raising awareness and funds on behalf of those in greater need than ourselves.
SPONSOR ME as I live on $2 a day for 30 days: CREDIT CARD www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan DIRECT DEBIT (email p.madan@theoaktree.org for details) or CASH (in person or email me for mailing details).

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 3 - 6,821,892,826 people in the world...

... sometimes you only need one.

1 in 5 young people in Australia experience depression. People are lonely and dying everyday because they can't stand their lives. With people rushing everywhere, everyday; with media blasts about the latest disasters; with broken families, hearts and homes, it is hard to not see why.

There are problems everywhere. It is so hard to work out what to believe and what to follow and how to be happy, when there are issues all around us. I don't have all, or any, of the answers. I am trying to find my way too. Trying to do what I can that makes me feel like I am worthwhile and like what I do matters.

Being one person out of six billion, eight hundred and twenty one million, eight hundred and ninety two thousand, eight hundred and twenty six people makes me feel very small. But every person counts. And that is what we need to remind ourselves, and everyone around us - you matter, and you are not alone.

People want to feel loved and cared for. Whether it is a starving child or a lonely old man. In the words of one of my favorite songs...

Send them your heart - so they know that someone cares; And their lives will be stronger and free.
~ Michael Jackson & The Aid for Africa Campaign

We need to unite, as one world. Because we are all the same. We all live and we all die. We all breath and we all bleed, and we all eat and we all need love. All over the world, we need to remind every single person, every family, every society and community, every country - we are not fighting this fight alone. We are all in it together.

I have only recently realized the impact that people have on my everyday life. I try and look for the little things that make my day happy, and the different people in my life really make a difference. If I was surrounded by people I love and doing what I love, I think I would like to stay that way forever.

People that made my day today:
- Nick and Viv: showing their support and concern.
- Margie: we have never really conversed properly and we did today for ages, and it was nice getting to know her.
- Ella Pope: always makes me happy. Just seeing her today made me happy.
- Random girl on the train: Laughing with me even though we don't know each other :)
- All the people that posted on my facebook/blog: I love you all.

Okay, blog = way too long right now... Quick summary of today:

Difficult. Hard. Nutrition = zero. Energy = zero. Concentration = zero. Delusional. Funniest Oaktree meeting with Steph Lee (also on $1.25 at the moment) ever.
Dangerzone because exams are coming up. Don't know if I will last - should I stop for exams?
May take weekends off, i.e. 5 days on $1.25 and then two day break. Thoughts?

And if you didn't read any of my blog just please remember:

You are not alone.
try to make someone feel that way tomorrow.
we are the world...
it's true we make a better day: just you and me.

2 comments:

  1. nawww P, it was nice getting to know you today also!

    xx

    keep charging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Priyani! Be strong! Try meditation ~ it's free, will take your mind off the hunger :D Also improves concentration, so you won't have to break the 1 month target for exams.

    You're doing great!
    x

    ReplyDelete