1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 US ($2 AUD) a day. Now it's our turn.
http://www.livebelowtheline.com/
In August 2010 join us in living on $2 a day, and commit to raising awareness and funds on behalf of those in greater need than ourselves.
SPONSOR ME as I live on $2 a day for 30 days: CREDIT CARD www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan DIRECT DEBIT (email p.madan@theoaktree.org for details) or CASH (in person or email me for mailing details).

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 4 - "good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others."


Who inspires YOU?
And who is inspired by you?

Imagine how many people have been inspired by us, if we have done a good deed or made someones day. Imagine the knock on effect we could have had on someones life, without even realizing.

We all have the ability to inspire others, whether it is inspiring someone to do something they never thought they would, inspiring a lifestyle choice, a way of living, or just being inspired to be a better person. I found so many sites on the internet, "Top 10 ways to inspire people", "8 tips to inspiring people" - but I think that really, in my personal opinion, there is no formula. We just need to be the best possible people we can be. Life is so short, and so unstable, so unpredictable, and it is not like anyone gets out alive anyway, so we need to forget all the little things and troubles, and focus on happiness, of our own and of everyone else's.

Do what you love - fuck the rest.
~ Little Miss Sunshine

One person that has inspired me to be a better person is Tom O'Connor.... On the roadtrip (the Make Poverty History Roadtrip 2010) we had run out of toilet paper, and so my group and I went to Coles to buy some. Tom was in our bus and so he and I went inside. I have never seen someone be SO nice and so considerate to the checkout girl. I know it is only a really little thing, but the way that Tom was so genuinely kind, and used her name, and asked about her day - I know, if I was her, it would have made my day. Amidst all the other angry customers, the few nice ones always stand out.

Ever since then, I have tried to be a nicer, kinder person to anyone and everyone I come across, because it just makes life that much better. I know how little his action was, but it was such an eye-opener to me, and I am now forever inspired by his one action to be a better person.

Another group of people that inspired (and continue to inspire) me was my group on the roadtrip. Alex T, Alex C, Kate, Maddy, Stevie, Jackie and Jen - WOW. No words could explain my love for them. Every single one of these girls has inspired me to be a better person and have helped me believe in myself. They are each so unique and so intelligent and I feel like the luckiest group leader ever. They helped me whenever I needed and always tried to face up to the difficulties the trip threw at us.

And every single person at Oaktree inspires me. The passion that such young people have for making a difference is incredible. It is the best feeling in the world being part of such an amazing organization - I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Today was really difficult dollar25 wise (as everyday seems to be). I took the day off uni, to study, which totally failed. I started feeling weak because of the lack of food, and so I slept for a majority of the day. I was also told that because of OH&S I am not allowed to do this challenge for a month! Or I will fall sick. Which is awful, because I really wanted to. Just quietly, I am kind of relieved though.

But as much as I am hating this, I just keep thinking - 1.4 billion people (that is one FIFTH of the worlds population) is living like this every single day. And they have no other choice. This is a sickening, awful, aggravating and saddening thought. It is the most unjust, unfair thing in the world and therefore ending poverty should be the highest priority of every developed nation.

Poverty of course is a crime. Poverty is a discrimination. Poverty is worse than racism. Poverty is a social injustice. Poverty is a prison. Poverty is a destruction of human dignity. Poverty is a condemnation to death. I dream of that time when poverty is ended and I know it will be during my lifetime!

~Alphonse Toussaint
Let's change the world.
Let's make history.
Let's make poverty history.

ps. I will be setting up a sponsorship page soon to sponsor my starving of myself. [WATCH THIS SPACE]

4 comments:

  1. How long do you have to do this challenge for now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like your blog priyani... very inspiring. xo clare (was on vic 2)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just the cutest. I love reading your thoughts. And I'm inspired by these actions of yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh priyani, you're amazing.


    YOU inspire ME !
    xx

    ReplyDelete