1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 US ($2 AUD) a day. Now it's our turn.
http://www.livebelowtheline.com/
In August 2010 join us in living on $2 a day, and commit to raising awareness and funds on behalf of those in greater need than ourselves.
SPONSOR ME as I live on $2 a day for 30 days: CREDIT CARD www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan DIRECT DEBIT (email p.madan@theoaktree.org for details) or CASH (in person or email me for mailing details).

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 6./ i just love forgetting my lunch at home and starving all day.

really. it's just the best. no, seriously! -_-

We had street teams today to promote LBL in Victoria and around the city, and smart Priyani thought to herself in the morning, "it's only 3 hours. I don't want to lug my food around. Let's leave it ALL at home." I did not take into consideration travel time/shopping time/extra time spent at Steph Lee's house. And so I was so, so, SO unbelievably hungry. Tom Nice, from Roadtrip and Melbourne Uni, even started making chips with me (using the several potatoes we bought for $2) but we had to stop.

Preparation for cooking hot chips:
Just ignore the beer is all. That is Stephs fault/ addiction.

*sigh* They would have been sooooo good.

But I went home to my lentils and rice, and I even started looking forward to my bland lunch/dinner, even though I was surrounded by smells and foods that were driving me crazy. I wonder what this says. That maybe one does get used to a certain lifestyle if they are forced to live in it for a long time.

However, regardless of whether they get used to it or not, it is not right, as even though I am getting used to the bland lentils I eat day in and day out, there is no way I would like to live like this forever. Taste and flavour is so apart of our life, and no one should have to miss out on that. The same with choice and freedom. These are basic human rights that everyone should be granted. And a world in which lack of choice and lack of freedom exists is a world that is compromising our ability to live properly. And by "our" I don't mean people just living in poverty - I mean that if there are people in the world that must live in these conditions, everyone is affected and everyone is impoverished. Because we are all one world. We are all the same. And we are all in this life together and must help one another.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.


Confessions

Look, I know you're probably not a priest, and it is not sunday and I thought I could hide this from you but I don't think I can anymore. I mean everyone has to have their weak moments, right? Mine isn't even that bad.

So it was day 5 yesterday. And I had been considering treating myself every 5 days as a little incentive and also because I have really been struggling at work. I am finding this difficult enough, but being surrounded by delicious food, for upto 12 hours a day was torturous. I couldn't get a break from food. And I know having an 'incentive' and a 'treat' is awful and I feel so guilty, because I have a warm home to go to, electricity, technology, showers, clothes, a comfortable bed, etc. And I am only really delving into one aspect of poverty, yet it has been so so difficult.

And so my supervisor at work had her $2.95 managers meal of chicken tacos and fries, and offered me the leftovers. Now, it was not like I was buying myself a meal. Or like I even had the whole thing. I had a couple of pieces of chicken and a few fries. And that was all. And after working 5 days in a row at a restaurant, living 5 days straight on less than $2 a day, I feel like that small treat was justified.

Yet I feel so guilty.

Which is why I had to confess.

But it was just a moment of weakness.

I will obviously continue this challenge and for the next few days do it diligently. And when it comes to day 10, I will decide.

Until tomorrow, keep making change.
Keep fighting.
Keep believing.
Keep smiling.
Keep hoping.
Keep the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment