1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 US ($2 AUD) a day. Now it's our turn.
http://www.livebelowtheline.com/
In August 2010 join us in living on $2 a day, and commit to raising awareness and funds on behalf of those in greater need than ourselves.
SPONSOR ME as I live on $2 a day for 30 days: CREDIT CARD www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan DIRECT DEBIT (email p.madan@theoaktree.org for details) or CASH (in person or email me for mailing details).

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 7./ oh, hunger.

I spent all day today in the Oaktree office. Waking up at 8am, I had a tea to keep me going, oates at around 11am and lunch at 3pm. Although the food was filling, by the time dinner came around I was starving. We were all going out for dinner (my family, aunt, uncles and grandma who is visiting from India) for my mums birthday, to TGI Fridays of all places! I was going to meet my family there and they were going to bring my soup for me, so that I could eat the soup while they all gorged on delicious, fatty filled foods.

The delicious fatty foods:




One problem. They forgot my dinner.

LUCKILY I work there and my boss gave me 65c (my normal dinner budget) worth of fries with honey mustard (65c worth of food at cost price). This is actually what I had been craving on every shift. Was it worth it? Well yes and no. It tasted great but it wasn't everything I had hoped it would be. Soup would have been nice! Although I am so grateful to my boss for the cheap dinner!

My dinner:


However, it was still so difficult after finishing my fries, just looking at everyones meals and how much I would just love to eat them. The temptation was now staring me right in the face. The lack of freedom. The restriction. It was all so, so real. And even those few hours that we were there was torture.

Imagine a lifetime of it. Imagine a lifetime of restriction. A lifetime of no choice. A lifetime of hunger and uncertainty and vulnerability.

This is all it should be. An imagination. It should not be a reality.

I cannot wait for the day when I talk to my grandchildren about poverty and what it was like and how people lived, and they will exclaim and be unable to comprehend how the world let this sick reality exist.

Let's fix it.
I mean, why wouldn't you?

So 7 days in - how am I feeling?

Hungry.
Longing for taste.
Monotonous.
Healthier.
Skinnier.
Desiring change (in meals), but tolerating the repetition.
Simpler.
Restricted.

I cannot believe there are still 23 days left.

But I am doing it because I care. And because I am unhappy with how lucky I am and I am enjoying constantly thinking about poverty and keeping myself aware of the issue of poverty and that every moment of my life that goes by, I dedicate to ending extreme poverty. Dedicate to making history.
To making poverty history.

No comments:

Post a Comment