1.4 billion people live on less than $1.25 US ($2 AUD) a day. Now it's our turn.
http://www.livebelowtheline.com/
In August 2010 join us in living on $2 a day, and commit to raising awareness and funds on behalf of those in greater need than ourselves.
SPONSOR ME as I live on $2 a day for 30 days: CREDIT CARD www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan DIRECT DEBIT (email p.madan@theoaktree.org for details) or CASH (in person or email me for mailing details).

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

get back on that horse!

What kind of crazy person would attempt to live below the poverty line, be unable to do it and then try do it AGAIN?

Guilty as charged.

From reading below you may know that a little while ago I attempted to live below the poverty line ($1.25 US = $2.02 AUD) for a month and had to stop due to exams. But now I am doing it again. I am going to live on $2 a day for all my food expenses, for 30 days, starting tomorrow (Thursday, 8th July). I will complete my challenge on the 6th of August and I am doing it properly.

No weekends off. No drinking. Nothing.

From August 2nd to August 6th, the Global Poverty Project and the Oaktree Foundation are inviting Australians to feed themselves on just $2 a day to increase their understanding of the obstacles faced by those currently living in extreme poverty. This is what has inspired me to do it.

BUT REALLY : WHY????

Am I just stupid?
Well yes.

But mostly because I am, and always have been, passionate about ending extreme poverty. I believe it is the most unfair and inhumane thing ever. I believe our generation is the generation to end it. And I believe it is my responsibility, not even a choice, as a lucky citizen of the developed world, to do everything I can to end it.

1.4 billion people live on less than $2 a day.
That's 60 times the population of Australia.
Thats 1.4 billion people that have malnutrition.
That's 1.4 billion people that have to make heart wrenching choices every single day.
That's 1.4 billion people that probably won't experience the amazing taste of our favourite foods.
That's 1.4 billion people that experience a restriction on living their lives properly.

When we have enough resources to feed the world 1.5 times over, you can kind of start to see the unfairness.

I am not doing this challenge to go hungry.
I am doing it to understand what I am fighting for. To understand the lack of choice. The insecurity and living with the fact that if anything happens, I cannot just pay for what I want. That if I am out and I am hungry, I can't just buy some fast food. That if I feel like dessert, I can't just get it because I want it.

And this is only a glimpse. Imagine living on $2 a day for ALL expenses. Imagine your child falling sick and having to choose between a weeks food for your children and healthcare. And imagine not being able to even consider an education due to these issues.

It is just so unfair and ridiculous and horrific.
And that is why I am doing it.
To understand it myself and to raise awareness.

I think this campaign is fantastic because it really breaks the barrier between the two worlds and people around us can empathise and be more willing to donate, because someone close to home is suffering!

So this time I am going to do the challenge a little differently.
Unlike everyone that will be doing the challenge in August, I am not buying all my food at the beginning and living off that. I am following Richard Flemmings lead (www.extremepovertydiet.com) and creating cheap food for myself.

An example:

Breakfast:
Oats, Peanut butter scoop

Lunch:
Lentils, rice

Dinner:
Sweet potato/curry soup

Tomorrows total comes to $1.36 so I may allow myself a 14c banana. Pretty exciting stuff.

Tips:
- Shop at markets (CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP)
- Try to eat 4-5 small meals a day
- Buy oats!!! 1c for my entire breakfast!

So keep reading my updates, sign up yourself (www.livebelowtheline.com) and sponsor me!!! :)

www.everydayhero.com.au/priyani_madan

ps. A really great quote I found....

All people smile in the same language.
~ Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment